Home Menu Search

Drivers back tougher penalties for using mobile phones

6 July 2009

Almost one-in-three motorists want six-month driving bans to be imposed on those using mobile phones while behind the wheel, according to a survey by Autonational Rescue, the breakdown services company.

Almost half (43%) of the 1,000 drivers questioned backed a doubling of the current £60 fine for those committing the offence for the first time, said a report in The Times (July 6).

Additionally, 31% wanted to see an increase in the number of penalty points issued for offenders - up to five points rather than the current three - and 14% backed the idea of drivers doing community work if caught using handheld mobiles while driving.

Only 17% of those polled believe the current £60 fine and three penalty points for the illegal use of a hand-held mobile phone is sufficient.

Ronan Hart, marketing manager of Autonational Rescue, said: “It is a serious issue. Every year a dozen people are killed and hundreds injured with the blame placed on drivers using hand-held mobile phones. Anything that can be done to help prevent those deaths and injuries should be considered.”

Related news, events and information

Penalty increase for mobile phone use

28 February 2017 – In UK it’s been illegal to use a hand held mobile phone while driving, or while stopped with the engine on,...

Survey suggests new penalties are not deterring mobile phone users

24 May 2017 – Story from RoadSafety GB. In the survey, published last week, 66% of respondents admitted to texting when...

Survey shows excessive use of phones whilst driving

8 August 2017 – The case for more public awareness and a better understanding of the risks is highlighted by a new survey...

Mobile phone fines fall 40% after new penalties

7 March 2018 – The number of drivers issued with fixed penalty notices for using a handheld mobile phone at the wheel has...

New drivers will lose their licence after using their mobile phone just once

28 February 2017 – Story from RoSPA. Young and inexperienced drivers are being warned that one mistake could cost them their...

Drivers at 1 in 5 firms crash while using hand-held phones

28 March 2018 – A recent RAC Business Survey has seen 1 in 5 firms admit that their drivers have been involved in accidents or...

Hands Free remains a danger

23 July 2018 – Highlighted on the Road Safety Knowledge Centre is a paper which explains that a hands-free mobile phone at the...

''Safer Driving @ 60+'' course a success

21 March 2018 – Story from Road Safety GB. More than 30 older drivers from South Yorkshire have taken part in a free course...

Study reveals automated driving hype is dangerously confusing drivers

26 October 2018 – Story from Thatcham Research. 71% of drivers around the world believe they can purchase a self-driving car...