New UK Driving Test Procedures welcome
We welcome the changes being made to the car driving test which will become effective from Monday 4th December 2017, and which will include following directions from a sat nav and testing different manoeuvres.
The changes are designed to make sure new drivers have the skills they’ll need to help them through a lifetime of safe driving. It may be appropriate for fleets to run their own drivers through these to see how they do!
The 4 driving test changes
1. Independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutes
The independent driving part of the test currently lasts around 10 minutes. During this part of the test, you have to drive without turn-by-turn directions from the driving examiner.
This part of the test will be made longer, so it’ll last around 20 minutes - roughly half of the test.
2. Following directions from a sat nav
During the independent driving part of the test, most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav. The examiner will provide the sat nav and set it up. One in 5 driving tests won’t use a sat nav. The candidate will need to follow traffic signs instead.
3. Reversing manoeuvres will be changed
The ‘reverse around a corner’ and ‘turn-in-the-road’ manoeuvres will no longer be tested, but the candidate will be asked to do one of 3 possible reversing manoeuvres:
- parallel park at the side of the road
- park in a bay - either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
- pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic
4. Answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving
The examiner will ask 2 vehicle safety questions during the driving test - these are known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions.
They will be:
- ‘tell me’ question (where the candidate will be sked to explain how to carry out a safety task).
- ‘show me’ question (where the candidate will need to show how to carry out a safety task) while driving - for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers.
Related news, events and information
14 March 2018 – Story from Road Safety GB. The modernised test, which came into effect on 4th December 2017, is designed to...
9 May 2017 – The DVSA has trialled a number of changes to the driving test with RoadSafe partner the Transport Research...
4 October 2017 – Story from FirstCar. The brains behind it is FirstCar's Founder, James Evans: ''For over a decade FirstCar...
8 March 2017 – Story from Newspress. Mobile communications and GPS systems used as sat-navs are becoming very common in...
6 February 2018 – Figures published by Good Egg Safety show a 47% increase over the last eight years in the number of child car...
24 June 2018 – The International Road Traffic and Accident Group (IRTAD of the International Transport Forum (ITF/OECD) have...
12 September 2018 – Brake Professional and Licence Bureau are inviting all organisations with employees who drive for work to take...
25 January 2017 – Story from Road Safety GB. The country’s chief driving examiner will explain to delegates at the 2017 Young...