Home Menu Search

Apple announces new 'do not disturb while driving' mode

8 June 2017

Apple has announced that its next iPhone software update will feature a ‘do not disturb while driving’ mode.

Due later this year, the iOS 11 update will provide all iPhones with the function, which is designed to address the dangers associated with smartphones and distraction.

The software will sense when a person is driving, and when activated will block notifications from calls, texts and social media. The user won't even be able to access the phone’s homescreen to open apps.

The driver will be able to set an automatic text response to notify anyone attempting to make contact that they’re currently behind the wheel.

The new feature will assume a person is driving if their phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth. Alternatively, it will use a phone's WiFi antenna to sense when it’s moving at car speeds.

Passengers will be able to override the feature by turning on the screen with the iPhone power button and then clicking on a button marked ‘I'm not driving’.

Once the update has taken place, Apple will prompt drivers to use the new feature on the first occasion that they drive with an iOS 11-powered iPhone.

AA president Edmund King said: "Our research shows that we need to do more to stop drivers using their phones at the wheel, and technology can help.

"More than half of young drivers can't bring themselves to turn off their mobile phones before driving.

"Whilst the responsibility for not using a handheld phone at the wheel lies firmly with the driver, we welcome developments such as Do Not Disturb While Driving, which could remove the temptation to answer the phone for some drivers."

Related news, events and information

Survey shows excessive use of phones whilst driving

8 August 2017 – The case for more public awareness and a better understanding of the risks is highlighted by a new survey...

Phone-disabling software should be used in government cars

16 March 2017 – Story from ABC news. The Australian federal government is being urged to lead by example when it comes to...

Penalty increase for mobile phone use

28 February 2017 – In UK it’s been illegal to use a hand held mobile phone while driving, or while stopped with the engine on,...

New study highlights the dangers of distraction for young drivers

25 January 2017 – Story from Fleet News. Nearly a quarter (23%) of young drivers have had an accident or near miss in the last...

Survey suggests new penalties are not deterring mobile phone users

24 May 2017 – Story from RoadSafety GB. In the survey, published last week, 66% of respondents admitted to texting when...

GB Government to introduce tougher penalties for mobile phone use whilst driving

21 September 2016 – In a recently published report 41% of motorists told the RAC that people using phones while driving is in their...

Mobile phone penalties to increase

8 November 2016 – The UK Department for Transport has published its plans to double the penalties for drivers using hand-held...

New UK Driving Test Procedures welcome

19 April 2017 – We welcome the changes being made to the car driving test which will become effective from Monday 4th December...

New drivers will lose their licence after using their mobile phone just once

28 February 2017 – Story from RoSPA. Young and inexperienced drivers are being warned that one mistake could cost them their...