UK Casualties reduce further
Reported UK road casualties for 2015 show a modest but positive decline when compared with 2014 - a decrease of:
- 3% in road deaths to 1,730
- 3% in seriously injured to 22,144
- 4% in casualties of all severities to 186,189
- Vehicle traffic levels increased by 1.6%
The Road Casualties Great Britain Annual Report which can be found here shows that there were 1,730 reported road deaths in 2015, a decrease of 3 per cent compared with 2014. This is the second lowest annual total on record after 2013.
The report also showed that:
- There were 45 per cent fewer fatalities in 2015 than a decade earlier in 2006.
- The number of people seriously injured in reported road traffic accidents decreased by 3 per cent to 22,144 in 2015, compared with 2014.
- There was a total of 186,189 casualties of all severities in 2015. This is around 4 per cent lower than in 2014 and the second lowest level on record.
- Vehicle traffic levels increased by 1.6 per cent between 2014 and 2015.
- In the last 30 years Great Britain’s population has grown by 15 per cent (8.1 million people). Despite this growth in population, road fatalities have fallen by 68 per cent (3,655 deaths).
- There were an estimated 4,860 clinically seriously injured (MAIS3+) casualties in road traffic accidents in the UK in 2015. This has remained relatively unchanged over 1999 to 2015.
- The total value of prevention of reported road accidents in 2015 was estimated to be £15.3 billion - this includes an estimate of the cost of damage only accidents.
Related news, events and information
1 July 2016 – The reported GB road casualties main results for 2015 was published on 30th June. The full report which is...
4 August 2016 – Statistics on personal injury drink drive accidents in Great Britain final estimates for 2014 show: between...
8 August 2017 – Final estimates for 2015 show that 200 people were killed in collisions in Great Britain where at least one...
6 February 2017 – There has been a sharp year-on-year increase in road casualties of all severities, and killed and seriously...
2 October 2017 – New DfT statistics show there were 1,792 reported road deaths in 2016, a year-on-year rise of 4%. The full...
30 March 2016 – As part of its motorcycling campaign which will run from March - September, THINK! has produce a new motorcycle...