How Safe Is Your Satnav?
Media Invitation from the RIN
We’ve all read the horror stories: ‘Satnav leads driver onto level crossing’, ‘Ambulance follows satnav up narrow alleyway’, ‘Driver directed into River Avon…’
The rapid expansion of in-car satellite navigation technology has been a boon to most drivers, but for some, it seems to have replaced the driver’s own commonsense and instincts. So has the satnav revolution turned drivers into obedient zombies? And what is the satnav industry itself doing to ensure that systems are safe to use, today and in the future? To find out, there’s only one place to be:
Driven To Distraction?
A one-day seminar hosted by the Royal Institute of Navigation.
Royal Geographical Society, 1 Kensington Gore, London SW7 2AT
26 June, 9.30-4.30
The RIN is bringing experts together from across the industry to answer key questions about the role and the implementation of in-car satnav systems in the 21 st century.
- Why satnav development and safety is a vital 21 st century political issue in a talk by The Right Honourable Owen Paterson MP, Conservative Shadow Minister for Transport
- What the satnav customer really wants – and needs – in a presentation from Sheila Rainger from the RAC Foundation
- How to avoid deskilling the driver by listening to the Institute of Advanced Motorists’ Peter Rodger
- How well – or poorly – current satnav systems actually work , according to David Evans of Which?
- The latest news on the Department for Transport consultation on In-Vehicle Information Systems from Alan Stevens of the Transport Research Laboratory
- Best practice for satnav installation from Tracy Ross of the Ergonomics and Safety Research Institute
- The role of the mapping company in developing safe satnavs, by Tom Satterthwaite of Ordnance Survey and
- The need for cross-industry co-operation to ensure the future safety of satnav technology, and more.
Attendance is free to the media, but please contact RIN Press Officer Tony Fyler at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7591 3133 to confirm, or arrange specific interviews.
Images will be available on the day.
Related news, events and information
2 November 2016 – A new online portal of motoring research relating to older and disabled consumers has been launched. The...
23 October 2008 – RoadSafe supports the safe system approach to road safety management. The introduction of predictive and active...
1 October 2006 – Fleetnewsnet 11 October 2006 THE UK Government has launched a major consultation into the use of satellite...
15 June 2020 – The winners of the FirstCar Young Driver Road Safety Awards 2020 have been announced. FirstCar launched these...
21 October 2008 – Almost half of UK motorists are seriously distracted by in-car technology whilst driving putting their safety...
27 January 2016 – The Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) and the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) invite you...
14 April 2020 – The awards will be presented at the Young Driver Focus conference at the Royal Automobile Club, Pall Mall,...
31 July 2014 – The UK Department for Transport has announced two new measures that give the green light for driverless cars to...
1 June 2011 – Fleets and private new car buyers in Britain are in the slow lane compared with some other European countries...