Speed Compliance Statistics 2016
The Speed Compliance Statistics 2016 release from the Department for Transport presents estimates of compliance with speed limits in free flowing conditions on roads in Great Britain.
These are based on speed data collected from a sample of DfT’s Automatic Traffic Counters (ATCs), chosen to exclude locations where external factors might restrict driver behaviour (e.g. junctions, hills, sharp bends and speed enforcement cameras).
The statistics provide insights into speeds at which drivers choose to travel when free to do so, but are not estimates of average speeds across the whole network.
The release also presents information from a range of other sources relating to the reasons people speed, speed convictions and the accidents caused by speeding.
- The percentages of vehicles exceeding the speed limit in free flow conditions have declined slightly for most vehicle and road types.
- On motorways, 46% of cars exceeded the speed limit in 2016, falling to 11% exceeding the limit by more than ten miles per hour.
- Single carriageway roads where the national speed limit applies (60 mphfor cars) had the highest levels of speed limit compliance, with only 8% of cars exceeding the speed limit, and 1% exceeding by more than 10 mph.
- On 30mph roads, 53% of cars exceeded the speed limit, with 6%exceeding 40mph.
- On 20mph roads with free-flow conditions (i.e. excluding roads with traffic calming measures - which may not be typical of most 20 mph roads).
- 81% of cars exceeded the speed limit, with 15% exceeding 30mph.
To download a copy of the report please click here.
Related news, events and information
Vehicle speed compliance statistics for Great Britain: 2016
29 June 2017 – These statistics provide insight into the speeds at which drivers choose to travel and their compliance with...
Vehicle speed compliance statistics for Great Britain: January to June 2020
24 November 2020 – Information from the Department for Transport. This statistical release is a new quarterly release and is in...
Department for Transport (National) (DFT) Vehicle speeds in Great Britain: 2006
13 April 2007 – The Department for Transport today published National Statistics of vehicle speeds in Great Britain in 2006....
New report shows that drivers are slowing down
5 October 2012 – Drivers slowing down even as ministers consider allowing them to speed up on motorways The number of...
Speed compliance lowers but public support for slower speeds increases
17 July 2021 – In UK during 2020, under free-flowing traffic conditions, 56% of cars exceeded the speed limit on 30mph roads...
Scottish Safety Camera Statistics prove success
17 August 2011 – Now available through the Road Safety Knowledge Centre are the Key Scottish Safety Camera Programme Statistics...
Drivers not in favour of 20mph zones
15 May 2014 – According to research published today by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), drivers are against the...
20 mph Zones not favoured by drivers
15 May 2014 – According to research published by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) drivers are against the idea of...
Helmond tests impact of Intelligent Speed Assistance
7 August 2020 – Source: The Civitas Initiative Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) is a broad term that designates various...