UK Casualties reduce further
Reported UK road casualties for 2015 show a modest but positive decline when compared with 2014 - a decrease of:
- 3% in road deaths to 1,730
- 3% in seriously injured to 22,144
- 4% in casualties of all severities to 186,189
- Vehicle traffic levels increased by 1.6%
The Road Casualties Great Britain Annual Report which can be found here shows that there were 1,730 reported road deaths in 2015, a decrease of 3 per cent compared with 2014. This is the second lowest annual total on record after 2013.
The report also showed that:
- There were 45 per cent fewer fatalities in 2015 than a decade earlier in 2006.
- The number of people seriously injured in reported road traffic accidents decreased by 3 per cent to 22,144 in 2015, compared with 2014.
- There was a total of 186,189 casualties of all severities in 2015. This is around 4 per cent lower than in 2014 and the second lowest level on record.
- Vehicle traffic levels increased by 1.6 per cent between 2014 and 2015.
- In the last 30 years Great Britain’s population has grown by 15 per cent (8.1 million people). Despite this growth in population, road fatalities have fallen by 68 per cent (3,655 deaths).
- There were an estimated 4,860 clinically seriously injured (MAIS3+) casualties in road traffic accidents in the UK in 2015. This has remained relatively unchanged over 1999 to 2015.
- The total value of prevention of reported road accidents in 2015 was estimated to be £15.3 billion - this includes an estimate of the cost of damage only accidents.
Related news, events and information
GB Road Casualties 2015
1 July 2016 – The reported GB road casualties main results for 2015 was published on 30th June. The full report which is...
Quarterly Provisional Casualty Estimates
6 February 2014 – The key findings from the Quarterly Provisional Estimates Q3 2013 include: For reported road accidents in the...
Quarterly Provisional Estimates Q3 2014
5 February 2015 – The Road Safety statistics team has published the Quarterly Provisional Estimates Q3 2014 statistical release...
Road Casulaties in Great Britain:provisional estimates
9 November 2015 – Today the Department for Transport published: Reported road casualties in Great Britain, provisional estimates:...
Road Casualties GB
24 June 2021 – Provisionsl data reports that there were 1,472 fatalities in reported road accidents in 2020, a decrease of 16%...
Lowest road deaths ever
26 June 2014 – The latest UK Department for Transport road casualty statistics show a decrease by 2 per cent compared with...
Reported Road Casualties GB
23 September 2010 – Key Facts: Road accident casualties in Great Britain in 2009 compared with recent years. In 2009: •There...
Provisional Casualty Estimates Q2 2011
5 November 2011 – Personal injury accidents in the year ending June 2011 on public roads (including footways) in Great Britain,...
Further welcome fall in Casualties
30 September 2011 – During 2010 there were a total of 208,648 casualties of all severities in road accidents reported to the...